Nathan Curtis is a founder and principal at EightShapes, LLC, a UX design agency founded in 2006 in Washington, DC with partner Dan Brown.
Nathan has practiced design and front end dev since 1996 with keen interest in design systems, component & pattern libraries, and helping teams create and sustain cohesive experiences. His book Modular Web Design (2009) explored how UX designers create deliverables & libraries systematically, presaging how he transformed EightShapes to prototype, deliver, and document design in raw HTML/CSS during the responsive era that followed. Through EightShapes, he’s consulted on design systems with clients including Cisco, Marriott, Wells Fargo, Hershey, eBay, Alcatel-Lucent, Capital One, and Yahoo.
Prior to founding EightShapes, Nathan led UX projects at Sprint Nextel and AOL, and got his start at SAS Institute in statistical apps R&D. Nathan obtained a M.S. Statistics from the University of Chicago in 1996 following a B.S. Mathematics and B.S. Statistics from Virginia Tech in 1995.
Book: Modular Web Design
Nathan authored the book Modular Web Design:Creating Reusable Components for User Experience Design and Documentation aimed at helping designers become better at modularizing their designs as well as building libraries of reusable assets to improve consistency, efficiency, and standards. The book is available from Peachpit Press.
Presentations, Workshops, & Other Events
- Design Systems That Scale, UI20 Conference, Boston MA, November 2015
- Style Guides Podcast with Brad Frost & Anne Debenham, May 2015
- Cohesive Design Systems for Enterprise, UIE Virtual Seminar, January 2015
- Sketching for Understanding, UIE Virtual Seminar, January 2013
- Modular Web Design, UI17 Conference, Boston MA, November 2012
- From PDFs to Prototypes, UXPA DC, October 2012
- Start Full Screen: Organize, Communicate, & Annotate HTML Prototypes, UIE Virtual Seminar, March 2012
- From PDFs to Prototypes, UIE Virtual Seminar, April 2011
- Modular Web Design, UI16 Conference, Boston MA, November 2010
- Modular Web Design, CanUX in Banff, CA, November 2009
- Adobe InDesign & EightShapes Unify, Adobe Max in Los Angeles, CA, October 2009
- Modular Web Design (full day pre-conference workshop), IDEA 2009 in Toronto, CA, September 2009
- Unify Your Deliverables, Web App Summit, April 2009
- Patterns & Components, Web App Summit Workshop, March 2009
- Unify Your Deliverables, IA Summit, March 2009
- Patterns & Components (full day workshop), IA Summit in Memphis, TN, March 2009
- Patterns & Components, Nielsen Norman Group Workshop, March 2009
- Creating a Component Library, DC Design Talks, January 2008
- Audiences and Artifacts, IA Summit in Miami, FL, April 2008
- Creating a UX Design Library, September 2010
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle, IA Summit, March 2009
- Instant Deliverable Mix, IA Summit, April 2008